Because most of our days have started before I've been fully awake, and ended after I can barely keep my eyes open, its been difficult to update this in any sort of timely fashion...so here we go...
Churchy way of life...on wednesday, we had the opportunity to spend some quality time at the Basilica of San Pietro (St. Peters) and Vatican City. Time amount of work that went into the creation of this holy place is more than fathomable! I'm still in awe!
 |
| From of Saint Peter's Basilica |
 |
| Alter of St. Peter's |
One of the more intimate experiences of this day was the ability of my group to celebrate Mass in the Crypt of St. Peter's. We were celebrating amongst the holiest of Holy, admits the past popes who have gone before us.  |
| Mass in the Crypt of St. Peters with Fr. Stephen |
 |
| Inside St. Peter's |
 |
Swiss Guard...gotta love their outfits!
|
The View From Above! At St. Peter's one has the opportunity to climb 551 stairs up to the very top of the dome of the Basilica. Alas, with no hesitation, I decided to climb the Cupola. Although it was super hot out and this particular day I had left my water bottle at the hotel, I was so excited to make this climb. Let me tell you the view from the top of the dome (Cupola) was AMAZING! So worth every step I too to get up there! Each new set of stairs on the way proved to be interesting, all leading up to the final vertical climb in a spiral staircase that was maybe 3 feet in diameter!
 |
| Postcard view from the Cupola! |
 |
| My ticket to walk up! |
The next set of pics are just from my walking around town...it was truly spectacular to just be another person on the street, although my sunburn and large day bag might peg me as a tourist, it was a nice change to experience Rome on my own terms.
 |
| Outside of the Pantheon |
 |
| Trevi Fountain! |
 |
At the Fountain!
|
 |
Rome made Jewelry...that I'd probably wear :)
|
 |
Pretty Street
|
 |
| Spanish Steps...promise there are steps under all those people! |
FOOD! One of my favorite things about Italy so far is undoubtedly the food...its tasty, colorful, and simply wonderful!
 |
| Risotto |
 |
| Sorry, I don't remember the name of this one...but I promise it was good! |
So that is a taste of my trip in Rome so far! We are 5 days in and still so much more to see on the latter half of this trip! Tomorrow begins our "free" weekend in Italy...I am off to Naples and Isle Capri. Stay tuned...more to come soon!
Peace!
Dang! Bring me back that risotto! :) -Steph
ReplyDeleteWish I could Steph!
ReplyDelete